Rainy Day Garden Planning

It's raining, it's pouring... hoo boy, the rain is coming down in sheets today!

Greenhouse is swept and clean, shop is ready and waiting, weekly seeding is all caught up ... so what is a bored gardener to do?

Just so happens that rain days are perfect for jotting down notes and plans in one's journal ... and catching up on laundry, too ; )


I start with a brand new, fresh journal book each fall. So, I shop around for months, looking at journals, notebooks, daytimers... till I find the look I want.

I love pretty covers and pretty pages, too. Coiled spines so the pages stay open with ease, and lines to keep me on the straight and narrow. 

My garden journals run from September through August annually. Why start in fall? Well, because I use mine as a planner for the upcoming summer rather than a record of this years happenings. Therefore, having notes about the current garden helps me plan for the year ahead.

If you want a record of the annual garden happening, starting in January is a great idea. Make your journal your own, make it special to suit your needs. With time, over the year(s), your journal will evolve into your very own masterpiece.      

This is what and how I tend to journal and capture my thoughts...

 In fall
- I jot down my thoughts about the current garden. What grew well, what I really liked, what worked out nicely, what to replicate.
- Any special heirlooms (tomatoes, cukes, peppers) that I must grow again, and why I liked them.
- Colour combo's that caught my eye, whether my own or something I saw during my nosey travels.
- Ideas that others mention to me, or plants and seeds that they want me to bring in the following year.
- I mostly jot down positive things, what to do, rather than what not to do... however, will occasionally note any especially big bug or disease issues. Generally, it will be followed with a remedy. 

catherinestudio.blogspot.com
 In winter
I take notes on any new ideas, decor, potting soils, flower combo's, etc.. that I find in seed catalogues and gardening mags. I cut out pictures for inspiration and make simple drawings. Sadly, my drawings are not nearly as cute as the one you see above ; )

If you are really artistic, add your own paintings and drawings to your journal. Make your journal unique, a real piece of art, as well as a book of thoughts and plots. While I am not a painter, I can draw decently enough ... these lovely pictures inspire me to put more colour and love into my penned drawings. 

In Spring
As winter comes to a close, the journal is all about seeds and plants, and what goes where ... lists of all the varieties I ordered on-line or purchased at shops, plus garden plans. I usually have my colour combo for the pots and baskets already figured out by now, so will spend time figuring out which plants I want to use to achieve that colour. 

In Summer
What is growing where and how well it is doing there. Something not thriving? Amendments to that bed in fall. What do I really, really like? What to order for the nursery and greenhouse for the fall and winter garden season. Fall and winter garden thoughts. 

 My 'fancy' (hah!) drawing of the garden beds, as I plan and plot for the season ahead.

Today, on this grey and rainy day, I am plotting out my garden beds for spring and summer 2016. I have 14 really big garden beds to fill annually, so it helps to have a bit of a plan prior to starting.

 Eliot Coleman's 8 year Crop Rotation Chart

What to grow this year and where to put them? How do I decide? First of all, I make a list of all the things I want to grow ... tomatoes, peppers, onions, carrots, beans, peas, leeks, cabbage, etc...

Then I use two different tools. One is Eliot Coleman's crop rotation guide. While I do not follow it to a tee, I sure do like it, the reasoning makes sense to me.

For more information about this guide and why you might want to follow it, too, see HERE!

 Planting flowers in and around your veggies is not only attractive to look at,
but is also using healthy companion planting practises!

The other tool I use a lot, as in always ... is a companion planting guide. I use it so much that I have a laminated chart in the greenhouse that I take out to the garden with me while I plant.
 
If I decide to switch things up last minute (which happens a lot), I want to make sure my goodies are growing with friends, not foes. Sometimes when one goes ahead and plants willy nilly, the plant fits the spot but ends up being a terrible companion to it's neighbours.

For example, last year I saw an empty pocket of space beside the celery, and filled it ... with carrots! Turns out that both of them attract the carrot rust fly.. thus it could have been a very bad idea. Luckily, we did not get carrot rust flies, but had they been around, that bed would have been absolute nirvana for them! Yikes!

My favourite companion planting guide to use? The one that I have laminated? See HERE!

More pretty drawings... not mine ; ) 
This cute one from kim the Ink Cat on Flickr

Other than plotting out your beds and yard, what else can you put into your journal?

- How about seeding ideas for the upcoming year?
What you want to grow, what seeds you need to pick up, plus your current seed inventory.
Prepare for the garden season ahead, map out a plan, check out what seeds you need, make a list to take with you as you shop for seeds.

- Or maybe you want to keep track of the weather?
How much (or little!) rain we got each month, snow falls, cold snaps, last frosts, first frosts and heat waves...

- Track your crops...
When you started your seeds, when they germinated, when you transplanted them, plus how much you harvested. When they bolted! This will help you plan for next year. If you started something too early (or too late) for them to thrive, keep notes!

- Keep track of your favourite varieties so that you can order more seeds in winter.
I love Dukat Dill but have now also added Diana Dill to the must grow list, too, after trialing it for the first time last year! So both dills made it onto my must grow list this year. My tomato must-grow list is huge! So many favourites.

- Items you want to add, build, or make.
Building plans for a birdhouse, bat house, potting bench, bug palace/hotel, planting crate.... draw pictures, cut out clippings, and write out plans.  

- What to do with all that harvest.
How to store, can, process, or cook your harvested goodies. Recipes. 

- Importantly, keep track of what you planted where - in both spring and fall.
You think you're going to remember, but after all is said and done, you will forget. One spring, not too long ago, I weeded out lots of pesky new growth, that turned out to be Breadseed Poppies. In my defense, poppy foliage kinda looks dandelion-ish and weedy ; ) 

Some of my inspiration for the upcoming year... 

- Jot down ideas  and draw pictures, take photos, press flowers, cut out clippings... of anything that captures your eye.

A garden journal for each year...
From ramblingrose.typepad.com

Make your garden journal uniquely yours and save each one, from year to year. Is lovely to look back on your thoughts over the years and the progression of your garden. When I look back on mine, am amazed to see that some of my original jots that were just ideas/trials to start with, have become common practise for me over the years.

From kim the Ink Cat at Flickr.com

 
Look forward to spring, but enjoy your late winter journaling time. 
 
Journal, plan and enjoy our wet February.
... this rain is filling up the reservoirs ; )  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts