Palaver from the Potager (Bug Houses, Dahlias, Cuttings & Hummingbirds)

Life here at the acreage continues to be busy with the new puppy and fall clean up still on the go. 


Most all the dahlias have been lifted, washed, and divided. Just giving them a day or two to dry before I dip the open cuts into cinnamon and stuff them in carboard boxes for winter. 

Picture from New project: Rose cuttings - gardening post - Imgur
Cool project, wonder how he made out? 

I'm hoping to grab a few rose cuttings this week, too. They often do not 'take' as well this time of year as they would in mid to late summer but even if I only get 40% or 50% success, I will be super happy.  


I pulled the last of the melons out of the unheated hoophouse yesterday. In total, I got 5 cantaloupes and 7 round Icebox watermelons from 2 plants of each kind. Feeling pretty chuffed about the results all in all. I would call 2021 a really good squash, melon, tomato, cucumber, and carrot year. 

All that is left in the hoophouse now is two Long Keeper tomatoes and some multiplier onions. The onions thrive in there, and thus far, touch wood, have not ever been bothered by onion maggots. 

Oh, and... I just saw that they have lots of lovely lettuces and greens at the shops ( Buckerfields) in case anyone is still hoping to get some planting done. Perfect for the unheated greenhouse or hoophouse. I don't eat a lot of greens in winter and am trying desperately to simplify my life (hah!) by paring down, planting what we eat, so I am skipping greens this fall. If you eat a lot of them, get them in the hoophouse or greenhouse asap, should be grown under some sort of cover but do not need heat.    


I saw a hummer flitting around my fall planters this morning, got me to thinking that I sure don't have a whole lot by way of flowers for them this fall. That super long drought did a real number on a lot of my perennials and flowering shrubs so while most are green, they are not blooming. Even my trusty coneflowers and black-eyed-susans finished off super early this year. 

Several of my neighbours put out feeders though, so I know they are in good hands. Here is a link on what flowers attract/feed the hummers and at what time of year, plus sugar-water ration information. There are tons of links on-line about our over-wintering Anna's Hummingbirds if you want to read up on feeding them throughout the winter months.  


After mentioning last week that I have a lot of hidey holes and places for critters to over-winter in, I got to thinking...  not all of you have this sort of space in your yards and not everyone can leave perennials standing and leaves laying where they fall.

Where to house the critters for winter instead then? A Bug Hotel : )

Cool looking, very practical, easy to make. They do not have to be big, they do not have to be complicated, they do not even have to be up on a wall if you have no shed or fence that you can attach one to. Can make one right on the ground.  Find a corner where you can pile the leaves, place a few toad homes, some logs, some old bricks with holes in them.... 

Get the kids/grandkids involved, try to think of all the wee creatures that might need a home for winter and how you can best house them. 

Here is the link to a nice, compact one that you can make... Build a Bug Hotel - Garden Therapy


Or maybe you want to go a bit bigger? Check out this great insect house at Susan's Garden. There is a tutorial of a great looking hotel to help you get started. Growing a Greener World Episode 1202 - In Susan's Garden - YouTube

Garden helper in training... 

Hope you're getting more accomplished than I am ; ) 
Tanja 




Comments

Popular Posts