New year's Eve Potage Palaver


Happy New Year's Eve, everyone!

Pic from leanandmeadow.com

I am not sure whether to be hopeful or fearful about the year ahead, however, have decided to put on my rose coloured glasses and go forth with hope and optimism. 

Today, on the eve of 2022, I am cleaning house, washing bedding, and doing laundry. Is considered bad luck to do this tomorrow, on new year's day or you risk bad luck, or worse. So, I am doing my part to keep the luck inside the house by starting the new year with fresh bedding and clean floors. 

Am I superstitious? Well, maybe a little bit, but mostly, I just really like enjoy all sorts of rituals and traditions.  


Here are some traditions for bringing in the new year...   

Making a new year's resolution. My resolution for 2022 is to work on healing my broken body. To take the many steps needed to become stronger and healthier before going under the knife, so that recovery after surgery is faster and easier. This is a many fold resolution so will be taking all sorts of little steps that I hope will make for a happy big picture at the end of it all. 

Not a fan of resolutions? Here are some other new year's traditions that I think are lovely... and hey, who says you need to do just one thing?  


Pick a word of the year. Just one word that sums up what you want the year ahead to look like and to be. You might choose mindfulness or intent, charity, or simplify, self-love, growth, or maybe grace or strength. Just one word that helps you set a goal or aim for your year.

My word is 'Kindness'. To be intentionally kind daily to myself and everyone I meet. Not that I have ever been the opposite of kind, I hope, but to really be kind with intent. To look for every opportunity during the day to do and think kind things and to be thoughtful to others. 

I am hoping that the year ahead has people being gentle and kind to each other, despite any differences. To have grace, empathy, tolerance, and understanding. You don't have to agree with your neighbour but you also don't need to be at odds. 

Similar to picking a word is a New Year's Intention. A positive vision for the year ahead that is broader than a resolution. Resolutions are more specific while with an intention, you can set your vision with a moodboard for the year, or a mantra. 

Something like 'Let it go' or "Find joy in the everyday', or maybe 'See goodness around me'. What about 'Find beauty in your day', 'Be mindful' or 'Lead by example'. Going by my chosen word above, I guess that would make my mantra 'Be Kind With Intent'.  


Maybe you prefer to shed yourself of the bad year to welcome in the new year? I kind of like this one as it involves fire... seems appropriate for the passing of the old year ; ) 

Write down on a slip of paper what you want to rid yourself of from the year 2021 and a wish for what you want the new year ahead to bring. Light a candle and burn those reflections, drop them into water or into the bowl. 

Melissa Gilbert of Eat, Pray, Love says to burn that slip of paper and bring it to the nearest body of water to wash away, add some bread crumbs and flowers, too. I just like the burning part to drop into the bowl as above but you can do this ritual in any way that you would like. Get the entire family involved.   

If this idea does not appeal, she says do any kind of ritual that appeals to you. Something that helps you leave the past behind and prepare to welcome in the new year. I like that. You do you. 

I usually do a whole lot of nothing to welcome in the new year but I have decided that this year will be different. I won't still be up at midnight as I am too old and tired for that, but the new year will be welcomed with a little bit of retrospection, a clean house (just in case), and a whole lot of hope for what is yet to come.

Whatever you do, even if nothing at all, I want to wish you much health, happiness, and prosperity in 2022 and look forward to seeing you all again soon ~ Tanja 
  
 

Comments

Popular Posts