Potage Palaver

We woke up to just a wee skiff of snow on the ground this morning but the skies are grey, so there may just be a bit more yet to come.... 

I bought a toboggan the other day, just in case. Essentially it was purchased to haul firewood, should we get the snowy winter they are predicting, but we also have a nice little hill next door in the school yard that is perfect for tobogganing when the grandkids are over.  


We had several beautiful, sunny and brisk days this past week so I was able to get a bit of Vitamin D while doing a wee bit of pruning and more weeding (ugh). 

Cutting back my shrub roses was tops on my mind though. Not a fine prune, I just wanted to take off the top third of the rose bushes, the bushy parts that capture the snow, drag the branches to the ground, and sometimes snap and break those branches.  

Now that they are all done, I can relax till the new year as the rest of the pruning will not happen until late February.

Great time to prune grapevines while you make wreaths out of the branches. 

 The only other thing that I might prune sooner are the grape vines. If you are making your own grapevine wreaths, do your pruning now while you harvest the branches, this is a great time to get it done. Need grapevines? Feel free to come and prune mine ; ) 

Oh, btw, this super cute candle holder is from @island_ish

This weekend is a quiet one, just me and the pups at home. I will be finishing up the last of the Christmas cards to send first thing Monday morning, eating a great many gingerbread cookies, staying warm by the woodstove, reading a great book while enjoying this 3rd Advent Sunday. Might even get the tree decorated today ; ) 

This is what Diana Gabaldon wrote today (there is also an excerpt from her new book, if you want to check it out on Facebook).
THE THIRD SUNDAY OF ADVENT – GAUDETE
This is the Third Sunday of Advent, called (in the Roman Catholic Church) “Gaudete”, or “Joyful” Sunday. Here we pause for a moment in our meditations and preparations and rejoice—in our families, our friends, the world and all it contains, beloved and loving—and look forward toward the Light, distant, but dawning..  

Okay... here are a few things that caught my eye this week...

Pantone colour for 2022 is Veri Peri.

Pantone has come out with the new colour of the year for 2022... check it out here.  I find it a bit much for indoors, maybe just in small pops like a pillow or throw, but I really love it for the garden! 

Are you bothered by caterpillars in your potager in summer? You gotta read this great article about organic pest control... To do or not to do? Pros and Cons of Using Bt for Caterpillars (In Home Gardens) | Empress of Dirt

This article about growing olive trees. I love my olive trees so much! Olive Tree Care: How to Grow Olives at Home - Horticulture (hortmag.com)


Love this photo from Aster TrädgÃ¥rdsdesign | Facebook. An amazing, real winter food garden. This pic renews my faith that real gardeners do exist, is not just all about taking staged pics for more likes and clicks.  

Don't get me wrong, I also absolutely love looking at those staged, pretty pictures of greenhouses and gardens just as much as they next person. They are so inspirational, have me drooling and dreaming, hoping to pick up new ideas and maybe get me to up my game a little bit, too. 

This bit of news makes me worry... Canadian families will pay an extra $966 for groceries in 2022, report says – Nanaimo News Bulletin (nanaimobulletin.com) Apparently will be higher in BC and Alberta than in other parts of the country.

I will be offering more how to grow food working again in the new year. Will be something for everyone from beginner to experienced. Stay tuned for those workshops, dates, times. Have an idea of something that you really want to learn more about, message me. Would love to hear from you.

These two recipes... 

From Deb's Greenhouse in Morinville.
 
This recipe from Chase River Vets in Nanaimo. 


I cannot remember where I got this pic from (sorry!) but this is how we built our covered bed, too. I grow onions in mine as I have a huge issue with onion maggots. It would also be great for growing brassicas in, to keep them slug and caterpillar free. That white moth cannot get in there. Also good for growing carrots in if you tend to get carrot rust fly damage. 


Invest in a good bug mesh to go over top. Make sure to buy one that is wide enough to go over the hoops and down both sides with a bit extra to spare. I don't recommend plastic sheeting or the white fabric in summer as it hold in the heat too much, but either one is great for winter gardens.

and last.... this beautifully staged garden that I absolutely adore.

From @sixat21

Wishing you all a lovely 3rd Advent and a great week ahead
Tanja 

  



Comments

Popular Posts