Potage Palaver (microgreens, coldframes, yuletide baking)

This week has been a super busy one so I have a few less links for you to check out, less items that caught my eye. I have been finishing off my Christmas shopping, baking all sorts of goodies for the yuletide season, while trying to deep clean the house, and keep up with the active puppy. 


Berkeley is now 5 months old and a real firecracker. Before we got her, a Saint Bernard was not on my radar at all. I'd never even met one before, knew nothing about them except that what I've seen on tv from watching movies like Beethoven. I did know she would be big, messy, drool lots and shed. In other words, a whole lot like a mastiff. However, they are very different breeds. Berkie is a whole lot busier and takes her job as a guard dog very literally. In other words, she barks at everything. Apologies to my neighbours, we will try to temper that a bit. She is very smart and catches on to new things very quickly (except the no barking thing, so far), whereas mastiffs are on island time and do everything in their own sweet time.  

Berks got sick pretty much right after we got her so we are just now, finally, able to start taking her to meet new dogs and go places with her. So excited to take her to puppy classes and Happy Hounds doggie daycare to play with other dogs and learn good social skills. 


Onwards and upwards... here are some fun links to check out.  

You may have read my recipe for a yummy lemony cough and cold anti-flu brew the other day, but check out this version that I found the other day. Very similar but with a slight twist. 


One of the suggestions that I received for workshops next year is one on how to grow veggies year round in a hoophouse/low tunnel/cold frame .. I found this good read about growing year round in a coldframe that even comes with suggestions for the veggies you can grow. These same veggies can be grown in hoophouses, high tunnels, low tunnels, whatever set up you have for winter growing. With the cost of groceries having absolutely sky-rocketed this year, growing year round foods is a 'good thing', as Martha would say. 

If you missed it the other day, here is how to make your coldframe into a hotbed for even more year round growing opportunities.  


This is an absolutely wonderful video about growing microgreens, a super informative step by step! And best of all, how to re-use your soil to grow several batches per season. How to Grow Microgreens - 2018 - YouTube


Last but not least is this authentic Finnish gingerbread cookie recipe from my childhood that you must try. This is the true taste of Christmas ; ) 

'Pulla' pic is an older pic, not from today's baking.  

Oh, that made me think of these... we make these every year, as well, but I did not take pictures today, or write down my recipe as of yet. This is a Finnish yummy, sweet, bread that we make many time throughout the year, for any and every occasion, but is an absolute must at Christmas. 

The small braided buns are similar to a Cinnamon bun or make into a braided loaf that is fantastic with a bit of honey or homemade jam. This is not my recipe but is an authentic Finnish one, so is similar to mine. Yes, the cardamom is a must ; ) 

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend ~ Tanja 

Comments

Popular Posts