Potager Palaver (Citrus, pruning, seed starting, pretty pots)

I have this palaver post to share with you today as it was pretty much ready to already when I found out that mom was going into hospice. Please enjoy the read, be well, and hug your mom.

Garlic in winter. No need to worry if your garlic is up already, happens all the time, they will be fine : ) 

Here are some fun links that I found this week, things that caught my eye and peaked my interest.... 


Check out these beautiful pots. You can make them



Are you buying a greenhouse? Building one? Here is an article with things to consider and look for. 

I also wrote about things to consider, here is my post about buying or building a greenhouse. 


If you have been following me for any length of time, you have likely figured out that I prefer to do direct sowing as much as possible, only pre-starting what I absolutely have to. This saves me from fussing with little pots and potting soil, and trying to find space in the busy spring greenhouse. 

Here is a great article about what to start from seed and what to direct sow, and why. Did you know that some plants simply do not like to be transplanted? With some plants, like squash or cucumbers, if you pop in a transplant and beside it sow a few seeds, the seeds will soon surpass the transplant in size and vigor. 

I have only once had an issue with the birds eating my peas in spring as they came up but that was quickly remedied by putting a trellis over them for a short time, till they got big enough that they were no longer as appealing.  

and this... Here is the very best seed calculator that I have ever found. Easier to read than vague charts. Here in Nanaimo, I use April 28th as the last frost date. The only thing I really use this projected date for is to decide when to start seeds. When it comes to planting outside, we will know when the temps feel right. 


And here is a great video from David Austin Roses about how to prune established shrub roses. Prune your fruit trees and rose this week, while the weather is fine! Try to spray with a lime sulphur and dormant oil kit, as well, for less pests in summer, less scab, and less fungal issues.    

Here is an idea of what to plant from month to month. It is from the UK so fairly similar climate and timing to ours here on the west coast. Your Seed-Sowing Year - BBC Gardeners World Magazine

Many of you know that I don't use lights to start my seeds, I wait till the days are longer and brighter to get started. Is less energy used : ) 
However, I found this article about lighting and such if you are starting yours in the house and want to start early. Starting Seeds Indoors: A Step-by-Step Guide - Tenth Acre Farm

Here are two articles about growing and caring for citrus. It is just a titch early to do much, too early to prune and too early to start feeding them. Just as with houseplants, the first feed is generally given in February. Gives you time to find a good fertiliser. Or buy a bag of compost to top dress them with. 

Pink Variegated Eureka Lemon, Meyer's Lemon, and Moro Blood Orange. 

Here is the one article... How You Can Rejuvenate Your Citrus Trees This Winter (houzz.com). It is from warmer climes where they grow them in the ground, but the same principles apply to our container grown fruits. 
 
Here is the other.. How to Grow Lemon Trees from Seed (& Other Citrus Fruits) (empressofdirt.net). Please note that you sometimes do not get flowers or fruits if you start from seed and if you do, it will not be the same fruit as the parent.  

Here is a picture of my beautiful mom, my younger sister and I, when we lived in Australia.  

Thank you so much for your kind words ~ Tanja 





Comments

Popular Posts