Welcome to this week's palaver from the potager... 

The weather here on the west has been pretty dreadful. Rainy and cool, very yucky. As I have a rambunctious pup at home, whenever there is a bit of a lull in the rain we head outside to burn off some of her excess energy so I try to putter a bit at the same time. I can promise you that this fair-weather gardener would not be puttering outdoors in this weather if it weren't for the new puppy ; ) 

So, it might actually be a blessing that she is here. We are running so late with garden chores this month as hubby had to go help out at a camp on the mainland hit hard by the virus, so I slowly plug away at things, trying to knock off one or two small tasks daily.  

First of all, great news. If you would like to have my posts show up in your inbox, you can now sign up with your email address instead of going through Bloglovin'. See the sign up at the top left hand corner, is super easy to set up. No more missed posts. Thank you so much for following and reading! 


What is going on around here? Well, so very glad you asked : ) 

I am planning for the 2022 season at the greenhouse. There will be a lot of changes coming but not to worry, it is going to be a better than ever year! 

Here is a bit of a blurb about it all (from the top of this page; ) .... The NGP in 2022.  


I have planted the garden bed tulips but am hoping to pick up a few bags yet that I can pop into some pots. 


Buy nice big bags of assorted bulbs and pop them into your potager for a big burst of colour in spring. 


My Limelight has been pruned back by 1/3 but the PeeGee tree-form hydrangeas were cut back pretty hard, as they were getting kind of scraggy looking. Might not have as many blooms next year but will have way better shape. 

I am drying these gorgeous limey-pink blossoms in a basket in the greenhouse. There are several ways to dry hydrangeas, some even hang them upside down. I found this lovely post about with stunning pictures to help you dry yours.  


I have less fun links to share with you all this week, just did not see a lot that captured my interest. It seems that many of the bloggers are starting to talk about Christmas decor already but I am so not ready to go there yet. 

In fact, I am decorate around the 20th and take it all down on Boxing Day. My friend in Ontario always told her kids that it is called boxing day as that is the day we box it all up. She is my soul sister, lol. Like minds and all that ; )  

That said... if you are looking for a really great gift idea, check out my Stihl mini chainsaw hand pruner. Bought it for me but hubby loves it as much, or more, as I do. If you are in the Nanaimo area, you can order it in from Rob at @ajacsequipment  


This is the most powerful statement that I have read in a long time...  

'But then she decided to refrain from using any pesticides, organic or otherwise, and to let all the insects in her garden duke it out. Over the next two years she watched her garden come alive. By withholding pesticides that can kill beneficial insects as well as pests, she gave the beneficials an opportunity to proliferate and bring balance to the flower farm'. 

Read (or listen) to this podcast about organic food and flower growing here.  It's a great one, has me itching to grow more flowers! 

Here is another podcast about organic food gardening, figs, and fall clean up from Lee Reich.  


Here is something fun! I have started following a local island gal, Robyn, at Minimalist Home on Instagram (she is on fb, as well, if you don't do Insta). 

You really gotta check her out. I am not minimalist by any means, so don't be scared. I mean, I'm not a hoarder either, lol, am somewhere in between, but Robyn gives cheeky, funny, decluttering and cleaning tips. All sorts of awesome tips to help you organize your home, garden, and life. Find her here...


That's about it for this week. 
Hope you all have a wonderful week, talk again real soon  ~ Tanja 

Comments

Popular Posts